We are a vibrant, multi-disciplinary team of dedicated researchers focused on improving the health, treatment options and outcome for people and families living with MS. We will always consider the exceptional applicant, so if there’s nothing listed and you think you’ve got what it takes, feel free to send us your CV and cover letter outlining why you want to join our group and your proposed research area.
Contact: Dr Helen Tremlett. email: email@example.com
Postdoctoral Fellow – Job Description
A postdoctoral fellow position is available for September 1, 2013 in the department of Medicine (division of Neurology) at the University of British Columbia (UBC) – in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
The successful applicant will be a contributing member of the Pharmacoepidemiology in Multiple Sclerosis (PiMS) research group. With the vision of fostering excellence in multi-disciplinary clinical, therapeutic, and epidemiological research to advance knowledge and improve the well-being of those affected by multiple sclerosis (MS), the PiMS research group thrives on diversity. Team members are trained in variety of disciplines, creating a truly interdisciplinary approach to research.
The successful applicant will utilize the British Columbia-wide multiple sclerosis clinical database and other provincial health administrative databases to examine a number of important areas including (but not limited to): the prevalence and impact of adherence to immunomodulatory drugs for MS; the long term safety and effectiveness of the current drugs for MS; the impact of pregnancy on MS; and the impact of comorbidities on MS outcomes.
There is also considerable scope for the applicant to initiate new avenues of research within the field of MS, based on their epidemiological or related training. There is a wealth of potentially available linked health data, all specific to the field of MS. The successful applicant will be involved with all aspects of epidemiologically related research including: grant writing, study design, ensuring data integrity, data linkage, statistical analyses and interpretation, hypotheses generation, presentation of findings, and drafting and publication of scientific manuscripts. The successful candidate will also help mentor and supervise graduate students who are working on related projects.
To find out more about the PiMS research group, please see our website: http://epims.med.ubc.ca
UBC is one of the world’s leading universities. UBC’s Vancouver campus has over 47,000 students, representing 140 different countries. UBC offers hundreds of academic programs through 12 faculties and 14 schools. Located on the western tip of the Point Grey Peninsula in the city of Vancouver, the stunning campus is surrounded by forests and ocean and is just 30 minutes from the city centre. For more information about UBC, please go to http://www.ubc.ca.
▪ A PhD/MD degree in a relevant discipline
▪ Experience with and knowledge about, special populations such as patients with chronic disease, or multiple sclerosis
▪ Experience with and knowledge about, drug adherence, and outcomes research, would be an asset
▪ Experience with large health-related datasets
▪ Experience with data access and linkage from administrative databases
▪ Computer proficiency, including use of statistical software
▪ Working knowledge of epidemiology-related research methodology and design
▪ Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills in English
▪ Ability to exercise judgment and make decisions in accordance with broad research objectives
▪ Ability to independently organize workload
▪ Willingness to work in an interdisciplinary setting
▪ Appreciation of the importance of clinical and basic research
▪ An inquiring and open mind
▪ Basic knowledge of medical ethics
Funding for this position is available for 1 year, with the possibility of extension. Salary will be based on the MS Society of Canada guidelines (http://mssociety.ca/en/research/researchfunding.htm). The position will remain open until filled. To apply, please send your letter of interest, CV and names/contact information for 2-3 references to Dr. Helen Tremlett: firstname.lastname@example.org [cc in: email@example.com].